Sunday, January 23, 2011

Baby Quilt Challenge

Last fall, I had been reading on quilting blogs about “shopping your stash” instead of running out to buy more fabric for a new project. So, when my daughter’s best friend had a little boy in mid-November 2010, I challenged myself to dig into my stash and scrap bins and make a quilt for baby Alex!



A recent fascination with Irish Chain made the pattern choice easy. But, as fast as my scrap bins are filling, they are still limited… so selecting coordinating colors was difficult, especially since I wanted to stay with bright, crayon colors. It was an interesting process of trying out different scraps together.

I’m pleased that I was able to make this baby quilt with no purchases whatsoever… I even used two pieces of batting that I zigzagged together.  Because I was using scraps, some of the animal faces, tractors, fire engines, etc. got cut off but I think they're cute... I especially like the monkey tail on one of the squares... and the giraffe, peeking through the "window" square.   



I worried about what to use for the back until I remembered remnants of a duvet cover I had made for one of my grandsons. I did the quilting myself since it was a small quilt… it’s not perfect but then, neither am I.




I got to hold baby Alex yesterday afternoon at my granddaughter’s birthday party… he is so sweet! Love the chubby little cheeks….

7 comments:

  1. Good for you! I am all about using it up wearing it out making it do or doing without. I am so proud of you for making do with thwt you had on hand.

    The results are so adorable too!

    Thanks for visiting me!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos to you, for using your stash. The quilt turned out beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too am trying to use what's in my stash and not go out and buy anymore. It is so hard, but also a very rewarding feeling. As for my own non-perfected quilting skills, I have finally come to terms, that shows how much love was put into the making of the quilt! Enjoy your Sunday!!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to use my stash as well...this is good inspiration for me. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done using your stash! It looks great! And the back looks lovely and soft.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous quilt and well done for using your stash!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I try to use my stash as much as I can. I love scrap quilts and your little quilt looks very sweet. You did a great job on the little quilt.

    ReplyDelete