Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Tumbler Quilting

One of the reasons I love tumbler quilts is the outline quilting like this...


...and I wanted to imitate it but using a machine rather than doing it by hand.   After cleaning & oiling my machine, installing a new needle, and winding bobbins, I got started quilting after work yesterday.




I like how the thread blends in with most fabrics and doesn't jump out at you on the darks.  I'd call the thread a taupe or dark beige.


Of course, when I went to find an example of the hand-quilted tumbler, I came across someone who had the same idea I did about machine quilting a tumbler... ~Zany Quilter~


I like how the tumblers are emphasized quilting this way...  and the back is cool too!



It'll take me a while but there's no hurry... I've given myself til the end of June after all!   Plus, it's a nice way to relax after work...

16 comments:

  1. great quilting...great tumblers!

    hugZ,
    annie
    rubyslipperz106.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is looking lovely. i've never machine quilted a quilt. i've only hand quilted them...lol. i can't wait to see what the back looks like when it is all quilted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's gonna look perfect....
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quilt is gorgeous! Very nice job, and I love the colors and patterns. I've been reading my quilting books and "watching" machines on ebay :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, this quilting is fantastic! I def. want to make a tumbler block quilt when I'm done with "the king" at the end of this month.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's going to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm loving this quilt. I just finished my first tumbler and I will be happy to make another one. I cheated and cut them out with the GO cutter though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so gorgeous!!! I think the quilting is very nice! I love the Tumbler pattern. Makes me want to make another one!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilt is going to be beautiful! You picked the perfect color for the quilting thread :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. ugh, I'm so jealous of your talent! If I could learn one crafy thing it would be how to quilt, such a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It will be gorgeous! You've done so much already. It'll be sure to be finished in plenty of time. You are a woman on a mission!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like the look of this quilting. Simple yet so pretty! Great choice. I can't believe how fast this quilt has come together!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Way cool. I might have to stop reading your blog because I want to make everything you make and I don't think I can live that long! I can't wait to see the completed quilt. I bet it will be prefect for him.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so cool! The front and the back is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your quilt is looking so great. Even though I hand quilted my tumbler, I would think twice about doing it now, because this pattern really does lend itself to machine quilting.

    ReplyDelete