Monday, September 26, 2011

Civil War Block 39: Hovering Hawks


This week's Civil War block is Hovering Hawks and Barbara Brackman explains the history of "jayhawks" in relationship to the War.


I had a "close encounter" with a red-tailed hawk around dusk on the way home from work.  Mr. Hawk was enjoying his dinner on the side of the road and was not best pleased that this big strange thing was bearing down on his meal.

Mr. Hawk reared up on it's legs, wings spread, and beak open, giving me notice that I was an unwelcomed guest.  I kept driving...   if I had stopped, Mr. Hawk could have easily pecked at the door handle standing on the ground... maybe even the side mirror.


A pretty fierce looking bird...


...I'm not messing with this one's dinner!







12 comments:

  1. They are very fearsone birds but so magestic in flight.
    Happy days.
    Bev.xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice block! And I see it's all in how ya turn the 12 HSTs; same number used for the star block I made. I'm a'larnin'!

    I liked reading the history about the Hawk block, especially her final comment about yankee quilthawks, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If that hawk had realized who he was messin' with he would have shown more respect. You need to wear your crown out of the house more often!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, what a gorgeous bird!! Fierce too! :-) Beautiful block.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice block!

    Reading the history of the blocks is interesting. You will certainly have a wonderful quilt when finished!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love seeing hawks around...and glad they are keeping the mice down! It's fun to know a bit of the history of these gorgeous blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad the car was between you and Mr. Hawk. Your fabrics are just perfect for your block, I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are fierce looking birds, beautiful colouring on the back of the first bird.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sure do like these civil war blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful block and interesting story about your own hawk encounter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh dear I have fallen behind again...need to have a civil war block catch-up day....

    ReplyDelete