Saturday, October 1, 2011

Civil War Block 40: Order Number Eleven

Fascinating history about this week's block on Barbara Brackman's Civil War Quilts... Order Number Eleven.

Order Number Eleven by Becky Brown

I love the block but it's applique and I was ready to give it a pass when I spotted a blue and white block from an antique quilt...

Photo from Civil War Quilts


I love anything blue and white.... so I dug in and machine appliqued all the curved pieces.


This block is also known as "The Reel" or "The Hickory Leaf" and dates back to 1840.

 Photo from Mary L.'s Quilting in Oz blog

In addition to "The Reel" and "The Hickory Leaf," Mary L. refers to this block as:   "Orange Peel" or "Rob Peter to Pay Paul."

Whatever you call the block... it's lovely!



15 comments:

  1. Well done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's indeed a beautiful block...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow it's lovely - aren't you glad you didn't pass!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty!!! I reckon this means you might do other applique blocks, long as they're blue!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your fabrics, I'd better stop reading blogs and get started on my block now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I really like that block!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this block! So glad you didn't pass on it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a beauty and I admire that you found a way to make it. I would probably skipped it, being applique challenged whether by machine or hand!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yours is beautiful, will get mine done tomorrow. Machine applique of course.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you for tackling it and getting it done. Well worth the effort - it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. NICE! Looks difficult! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like the fabrics you chose for this block.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did such a great job! I was intimidated when I first saw this block but maybe I can do it :)

    ReplyDelete