Monday, June 4, 2012

Hourglass Quilt Progress


I got the HST blocks sewn into QST blocks...


..but as I started cutting, pressing, and snipping dog ears...


....a comment by blog friend Pip of Rest is Not Idleness kept popping up:   repetitive strain injury or RSI.  I took a break and looked it up... and also carpal tunnel syndrome.

This past week, I had noticed that the tip of my right index finger was numb from time to time... and after all the sewing this weekend, my right arm was tingling.   Of course, toss in my multiple sclerosis...  I'm not sure who could figure it out....   but.... I decided to take a break and just rest.    So I popped a DVD in...



...and held down the sofa for a while.    My arm stopped tingling....   so I did another set of ten blocks.... arm tingling again.....   I popped in another movie and will let the sewing get done another day...





14 comments:

  1. Good idea to give it a rest gf. You have a huge stack there! I also have to take breaks from sewing due to back strain, but not to watch a movie...that's what I do WHILE sewing :-) That or listening to Neil Diamond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the best way to do it, I've got a bit of carpal tunnel as well, so far it doesn't seem to bother me (fingers crossed). A movie makes a nice break from stitching and cutting, it is so tempting to push on through the tingling sensations but in the end it's better to take a break.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a wise woman. Always good to pace yourself--especially when physical challenges play a factor. Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband had carpal tunnel and had trouble with numbness. Glad you took a break to give your body a rest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a good idea to take a break. I think we all tend to just try to keep going regardless of aches and pains. I've learnt not to ignore mine because, if I do, I can't sew at all for a few days. Better to take a couple of hours off than to not be able to sew at all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You always have to take good care for yourself Freda, because there's only one you. That top wil be finished, one day or another.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you deserve a well earned rest after all of that.
    Is the movie good?
    I haven't seen it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you recognized there was something not quite right, I know it is hard to focus on something else when you want to sew. I will heed your message.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good idea...I keep several different types of projects around for times like that...but movies are a great option!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, rest your body. I have had 3 different surgeries on my wrists/hands and sometimes I do something in my sleep. Then I end up wearing a brace for about a week which makes for a forced hiatus from sewing and knitting. I end up reading a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to see that you're taking care of yourself. I loved that movie, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  12. At my age, that's how I do everything - work a little bit and rest a little bit.
    Lillian
    lillianscupboard.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I must rent that movie some time! Hope your arm is feeling a lot better now.

    ReplyDelete