Monday, October 8, 2012

The Hardest Part....


...about sewing/dressmaking/costume making for me is cutting out the pattern.   I am NOT very patient but the laying out, pinning, and cutting out of a pattern makes all the difference in the finished product.   So...  I decided to cut out the robot costume-to-be yesterday between laundry and housework.
 

The fabric is slippery-slidey so extra care needed to be taken when smoothing out both the fabric and the pattern pieces.


The body of the top needed to be placed on the fold and... to save fabric.... I refolded the fabric so the selvedges met in the center.


I had to take breaks because bending over the table to pin down the pattern pieces was not appreciated by my lower back.   However, the costume is cut out....  I'll tackle the sewing after work this week.


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

Another photo from Saturday's birthday party....









10 comments:

  1. I agree laying out and cutting out is the hardest part of making a garment. A little dab of fabric glue might be useful in preventing the fabric from sliding apart, you might want to think about using your walking foot when you sew it as well, it might help, maybe try a sample first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to make all of my daughters' clothes and most of mine. I agree--if I could just get over the hurdle of cutting things out, I could speed to the finish. That fabric looks like it is challenging to work with. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Pip - use your walking foot to sew that shiny stuff if you can. And - hardest for me - take your time. The good thing is it's for a costume so no need to sweat too much. (I proof read my comment and I'd written "no need to swear too much". That too! LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cutting out is the bit I hate....
    A jumping castle ...... I wish I was a kid again !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a brave Grandma! The things we do for love.lol I agree a walking foot and maybe a special thin ballpoint needle if you have one. Hope it goes together easily and gives you no trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking good. The cutting is the part I hated too. But what a delight to see a princess party....the girls look like they are having a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I look forward to seeing the robot costume come together. I've avoided that type of fabric in the past. Didn't think I could sew it together properly because it would slide around.
    Sweet picture of the princess party : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. hope you get it all worked out;) COngrats on getting it all cut already!!! I digress though as I really dislike patterns:( So I am cheering you on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I am with you! If they came precut..... It will be a great costume whne you are done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't like the cutting part of the process either. At least you're past that part now!

    ReplyDelete